Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Built-in entertainment center using IKEA Besta products

I decided to create a "built-in" entertainment center to cap off a lengthy basement remodel initiated by a leaky pipe and the discovery of a cracked foundation wall. The modified Besta products rest on four cantilevered metal brackets that project out from the brick wall. These brackets used to support three 2 x 6 x 10 foot planks that served as a bench.


The goal of the entertainment center was to elevate the speakers and hide the components and cables. Since none of the Besta doors fit the Besta Jagra bench, I purchased sliding door hardware from Rockler.com and some 1/4" dark gray plexiglass cut to size from eplastics.com. I also purchased a pair of cabinet cooling fans that switch on when the temperature in the entertainment center rises.



The Besta Jagra bench on the left was modified to allow for greater air movement around the components, especially the receiver.



I installed heavy-duty drawer slides to create a sliding shelf for the receiver, which made making the connections to the back of the receiver a lot easier.


The Besta shelf extension in the middle was cut down to the same height as the Jagra benches, and Perfekt Nexus plinths were cut and mounted to the bottom of the entertainment center to hide cables and the metal brackets.


Last but not least, I routed a channel into the back of the Perfekt Nexus rounded deco strips and mounted them to the top of the entertainment center to hide the speaker wires and installed the dioder strip lights to the back of the t.v.


Products used:
2 IKEA Besta Jagra TV benches
1
Besta shelf unit/extension
Perfekt Nexus plinth
Pefekt Nexus rounded deco strip
Dioder lighting strip


3 comments:

  1. Looks great, I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    Really nice piece of work!
    Could you please let me know where does the hot air go?
    I see one fan on your receiver but I suppose you installed another one to blow the hot air out of the furniture right?

    If possible I would also like to know more on how you attached it to the wall? Could you give us some more precisions on this and maybe pictures?

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had a soft spot for solid wood tv stands and other solid wood furniture pieces. I must say you did a great job with this entertainment center. I really envy people who can handle some woodwork. If only I had the talent, who knows what crazy stuff I could come up with!

    ReplyDelete